Sunday, November 4, 2012

Matchbox Crossley Tenders

     While I slowly work through my IWI figures (no thanks to my real life getting in the way), I took a break to paint up a pair of Matchbox Models of Yesteryear: Crossley Tenders. They are a fast, inexpensive way to add some great vehicles to any IWI game table.
 

 
     In keeping with the theme of a quick completion, I decided to paint them in a two (2) color finish [base plus highlight]. I started out by removing the seats and steering wheel. I say "steering wheel" in the singular because one of the models was unfortunately missing its wheel. I decided to take a generic approach in color choice. I spray painted the bodies with Rust-Oleum Deep Forest Green. I followed up by painting the edges and raised details with Vallejo Model Color (VMC) 094 Russian Uniform WWII. After painting the highlights, I was left with a need to touch up the base of Deep Forest Green. As the paint used was an enamel based spray can, I would have been dead in the water had I not remembered an article I read some decades ago. I used a ziploc bag as a means of collection as I sprayed some of the can's contents into it. It didn't take much to give me what I needed. I then used a cheap brush to apply the color as I have no enamel thinner in the house. This all worked out without a hitch! The veicle was then given a generous coating of Testors Dullcote.
 
     The tires and steering wheel were solidly painted with a 50:50 mixture of VMC 169 Black and 168 Black Grey. They were then dry brushed with VMC 167 German Grey. The seats received a base of VMC 145 German Camouflage Medium Brown. I followed this up by painting the raised areas of the pin-tucked padding with VMC 135 Beige Brown. The seats were a frustrating task as they are molded in an extremely soft and non paint-friendly plastic. I chipped the paint numerous times on my first go at them leading me to stripping them and starting all over. Thankfully there is a mounting pin on their underside that has a center hole which can be used to mount them to a toothpick. I decided it best to apply a heavy protective shell of Dullcote before attempting the seat installations.
 
     In summary, I am quite pleased with my final results. They turned out as well as I had hoped. I did not want a weathered look, but rather a soft, glowing, almost pastel appearance. For a long while, I have desired to paint with this as a goal, but I always seem to miss the mark. I may have techniques, but I am a painter with very little artistic skill. I always shoot for the one goal and yet seem to apply the wrong sorts of techniques. While my painted figures do make me happy, they just aren't what I was after. An excellent example of what I am after can be found on the excellent blog Crac des Chevalier. The man is a true miracle worker with lead and paint!

No comments:

Post a Comment